Saturday 25 October 2014

Get to know me ...

Well, here we are – my first official blog post.



I thought I'd kick this game off with a little "getting to know me" post where I answer 31 questions (strange number) about myself.  Here we go ...

1.  Are you named after anyone?

Yes.  I am named after my grandmother, Betty, who I sadly never met.  She was my mam's mother and she died at a horribly young age in 1960, when my poor mam was only four years old.  Obviously, Back to the Future has shown us that if my grandmother had lived, then I wouldn't be here to entertain you with my ramblings, but I often wonder about her and I wish my mam had known her for longer.

2.  When was the last time you cried?

Are you kidding?  I cry everyday.  I filled up a bit writing my answer to question no.1.

3.  Do you have kids?

Yes, I have three funny, beautiful, clever and exasperating little children.  Charlie (6.5) is the eldest.  He's my gentle, kind-hearted one.  Henry (4) is the middle.  He's the strong-willed one (yes, strong-willed is a polite term for 'naughty'). Mathilde (20 months) is the youngest.  She's my enigma.  She's sweet and scrumptious, yet she can throw a tantrum that would put Elton John to shame!

4.  If you were another person, would you be a friend of yourself?

Christ, no!  I'm a total pain in the arse.  Don't get me wrong, I'm always there for a friend in need and I'll help them fight their corner no matter what it takes, but I don't know how I have friends as I never answer my phone, I'm pre-occupied by drama and I bore very easily.

5.  Do you use sarcasm a lot?

I am fluent in sarcasm.  I try to save it for people who 'get' me, but occasionally I cross the line.

6.  Will you ever bungee jump?

Never.  If someone told me to jump or they'd shoot me, I'd have to get shot.

7.  What's your favourite cereal?

Kellogg's crunchy nut granola.  The one with chocolate in it.  (rationed to one bowl a week as I'm doing WeightWatchers at the moment).

8.  What's the first thing you notice about people?

No idea.  Probably their face.  Stupid question.

9.  What is your eye colour?

Sludgy greenish-brown.

10.  Scary movie or happy endings?

Happy endings.  I get very, very annoyed if I ever watch a film that doesn't end the way I'd like it to end.  I hate horror movies, which infuriates the husband as its his favourite film genre.  I can't abide violence and gore and generally loathe anything frightening.  The husband once watched a film about a man who answered an advertisement volunteering to be eaten.  (True story - happened in Germany).  Why?

11.  Favourite smells?

Play doh, fresh baking, plastic toys, birthday candles, popcorn.

12.  Summer or winter?

Summer.  Living in the north of England, winter is bloody awful.  Summer is marginally better.  I need to emigrate.


13.  Computer or television?


Ooh that's a toughie!  We tend to only watch a handful of TV programmes 'live' and mostly download series, which we could watch on a computer, so I'd have to say 'computer'.  Plus, I absolutely couldn't live without my laptop.


14.  What's the furthest you've ever been from home?


Key West, Florida, USA.  Gorgeous!  Was around 25 years ago though! :)


15.  Do you have any special talents?


Memory: I know the capital city of every country in the world, US state capitals, French department capitals and I can recite the line of succession to the British throne from 1066 to present day.  I'm also a bit of an artist and have sold a few portraits in my time.  I've also made and sold lots of craft items, particularly miniature 1/12th scale books (don't ask - it's a niche market).


16.  Where were you born?


Sunderland, a 'city' in north east England.  Needs a bit of a makeover.


17.  What are your hobbies?


These tend to be children-related now, such as going to swimming pools, sci-fi fairs and local touristy stuff.  I love writing and have written half a novel (attempting to finish it).  Also enjoy shopping for nice things for my home, fun stuff for the kids and I'm a little obsessive about buying children's clothes.  Family holidays are another passion, as are my political 'crusades' and watching good American TV series such as Game of Thrones, Homeland and House of Cards.


18.  Do you have any pets?


No.  Nothing with fur and/or dirty feet will enter my house.


19.  Favourite movie?


I enjoy the classics: The Sound of Music; Mary Poppins; The Wizard of Oz; Gone with the Wind.  Also enjoy a good costume drama: Dances with Wolves; The Last Emperor; The Remains of the Day; Elizabeth; Gosford Park.  Anything Disney floats my boat too.


20.  Do you have any siblings?


One sister called Samantha (named by dad for Grace Kelly's character in High Society). She's four years younger than me, but looks older.  That's what I tell her anyway!

21.  Do you have a middle name?

No.  I am very unhappy for my parents over this.  No imagination!  


22.  What was your favourite subject at school?


Art.  I was always very good at it - but after doing it for a year at uni, I realised I wasn't good enough and switched to study business instead.


23.  What's you favourite song at the moment?


Nothing current.  I haven't listened to the 'charts' since 1992.  No idea what's 'top of the pops' these days.  Adele sings nicely I suppose, but I prefer a nice show tune.


24.  Do you participate in any sports?


No.  I'm built for comfort, not for speed.


25.  What's your favourite book?


Of all time, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.  Every line is absolute perfection.  Also adore Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, Perfume by Patrick Suskind, His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and anything by Philippa Gregory (historical chick-lit).


26.  What's your favourite colour?


Purple.  Oh, that's another favourite book.  The Color Purple by Alice Walker.


27.  What's your favourite animal?


Polar bear.  I adopted one once.  Not physically or literally, just via giving money to a zoo.


28.  What's you favourite perfume?


Anything by Vivienne Westwood.  Boudoir or Cheeky Alice.


29.  Do you speak any other languages?


I studied French from secondary through to university, but I'm very sorry to say I've forgotten most of what I once knew.  Would love to relearn it, but as it stands, I can still have a canny conversation with my 'holiday French', which is better than nothing.  I also used to know Latin, but that hasn't been useful since around 400 a.c.e.


30.  What's your favourite shop?


Next.  I have a monthly standing order to my account.  Me and the kids are usually dressed in Next clothes - good quality, fair price and quite stylish.  The husband doesn't shop there as, I quote, "nothing in Next fits me."  This is because he's shaped like a question mark.


31.  What's your favourite restaurant?


I love Japanese.  Ikuze in the Metro Centre and any branch of Yo Sushi.  My favourite local restaurant is Radhuni for Indian, Tavistock Retro Italia for Italian and McDonalds to make the kids happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment